Best Guard Dog Breeds
Throughout history, one of the main jobs of domesticated dogs has been to protect its owners and guard against unwanted people or animals.
If you would like to keep your family safe from intruders, these are the top 12 best guard dog breeds to consider when you want to buy a puppy.
1. Bullmastiff Arguably the best choice you could make if you are looking for a perfect guard dog. With an intimidating look and strong protective instincts, bullmastiff can make a great guard dog. This breed can also get along well with children if they well trained. This breed is known for its physical strength, protection instincts, courageousness, and extreme family loyalty. If an intruder crosses its path, a Bullmastiff will typically use its strength to knock them over or block their path. The breed is very docile in a family environment, however, and makes a great household pet.
2. Doberman Pinscher If you have a large piece of property that you are trying to protect, a Doberman Pinscher is a great guard dog for you. This breed is incredibly fast and is able to reach an intruder in a short amount of time. Known as the fifth-smartest dog breed in the world, Dobermans are fearless, alert, and loyal dogs.
3. Rottweiler Originally bred to protect cattle, Rottweilers are known to be relentless protectors of their pack. They are an intelligent breed and extremely loyal to their owners. Rottweilers are known to be aloof with strangers until properly introduced to them and are very quick learners.
4. Komondor Traditionally used to protect herds of sheep, the Komondor possesses a natural guard dog ability. This breed is active, courageous, loyal and known for its dignity and strength. If properly socialized and trained in obedience, this breed makes a devoted family pet.
5. Puli Pulis are known for their suspicious nature. Puli is intelligent, courageous, energetic, faithful and loyal. This breed can be an excellent guard dog as they are very protective of their family.
6. Giant Schnauzer Giant schnauzer is a large, powerful, intelligent and bold dog. This breed is well known for working as a military dog in World War 1 and 2. Like German Shepherd, giant schnauzers are easy to train. Deep loyalty with the family and strong territorial instincts make giant schnauzer a great guard dog.
7. German Shepherd German Shepherds are bold, confident, and fearless. They are extremely intelligent and quick to learn commands, thus making them a favorite police dog breed. German Shepherds have a calm demeanor when in a household but can quickly react when their family or home is threatened.
8. Rhodesian Ridgeback Originally bred to hunt lions, this dog has a strong prey drive and tends to be independent in nature. Rhodesian ridgeback is a muscular, intelligent, loyal and independent. They are very protective of their family and aloof with the strangers. Ridgebacks also bark only when they found something unusual.
9. Kuvasz This breed is very territorial and has a strong instinct to guard its family and home. The Kuvasz tends to be aloof with strangers but craves affection from its family.
10. Staffordshire Terrier Often confused with the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Staffordshire Terrier was bred for bear and bull fighting. Their aggressive and protective natures make them excellent guard dogs but require them to be properly socialized and trained from an early age. Staffordshire Terriers make great household pets, known to only be aggressive when protecting a family member.
11. Akita - Dignified, courageous, and profoundly loyal.
12. Great Dane - Very clever, loyal and active by personality, this Great Dane breed dog is very tall in height and runs fast. It is great fighter, quick-tempered and follows the command of trainers. Its an obedient guard dog that can be trained easily and can become a good companion of owners.